Sunday, May 29, 2016

Personal Preference - Why Guqin?

Many of my friends asked me the reason I chose Guqin instead of other popular music instruments such as guitar, piano, ukulele, and the like. Actually, when I was 13 years old, my mother was very kind to send me to electronic organ music school to pick up some music lesson. Mind you, I really liked and enjoyed playing the electronic organ very much, am still playing it today. 

I picked up guqin, firstly, when I was in secondary high school, I watched Chinese movies and I stumbled upon an old man playing an ancient music instrument. That was the time where the "What", "How", "Who" and "When" were all playing in my mind. I told myself it was impossible to find a guqin teacher in my country. If you look for one, that would be in China. So, in order to make myself happy, I enrolled a guzheng class and I told myself this instruments bears a resemblance of guqin. Well, I was very wrong! As years gone by until the year of 2015, miracle happened.

After my guzheng lesson, when I was walking along the corridor on my way to leaving the school, suddenly, a very familiar and soothing sound emitted from one of the rooms. Without hesitation, I peeped the small hole of the glass window and without a doubt, that was the instrument that I was looking for, well, for years! 

I went in and I told the guqin teacher can I just sit inside the class and see how the class is conducted. The teacher was very kind and he approved my request. Without much thinking, I enrolled the guqin class and since then and until today, I learn guqin under his guidance. I chose guqin is because it is a unique instrument that has a history of at least 3,000 years and its mesmerising tune. In addition, I am surprised of its rich history and fingering techniques in playing the guqin.

This is how I relate my guqin story to all. 

ALSH

No comments:

Post a Comment